Tags: backup, cloud, cloud backup, internet backup, online backup, online storage, top 10
In recent years, cloud backup has become an ever more popular option in part due to the increasingly heightened interest in everything-cloud, but also due to to the advances in security and the prevalence of more mature offerings. Of course there is the small matter of the importance we place on data, whether it is payment renewal information or personal photos. They are increasingly all digital and the cost of losing them can’t be underestimated as a driving force in online backup uptake.
Top 10 reasons to backup in the cloud
- Disaster recovery – Scary fact -93% of companies that lost their data center for 10 days or more due to a disaster filed for bankruptcy within one year of the disaster. 50% of businesses that found themselves without data management for this same time period filed for bankruptcy immediately. (Source: National Archives & Records Administration in Washington)
- Accessible – you can access your backed up files wherever you are in the world. Often from any device
- Continuity – realtime and scheduled backups mean there is less chance than ever in missing a backup or worse not getting round to setting one.
- Freedom from the manual backup process – For anyone has dealt with tape backups and taking them offsite
- Cost – Costs are predictable and monthly, so often there is no upfront payment required. No expenditure on backup devices.
- Fast file level restores. Need an old version of a file and it can be downloaded instantly, rather than having to retrieve the correct backup first.
- Security – Surprised? Data centers build there reputation on security and have huge budgets to secure the data. Anyone left a backup in their car over night? I have!
- No training required. Most of the complexity is managed by experts working at the providers.
- Resiliency – Backup hardware failure is very unlikely and good providers have multiple copies of your data, across multiple data centers.
- It is a good entry point into the world of cloud computing and cloud computing is cool.